Friendly advice from the emergency room
Years of working in an emergency room have given me a lot of ‘worldly wisdom’. I was reviewing some of this in my mind just the other day, and it occurred to me that it would be wrong to hoard all of this myself. Everyone needs access to these little pearls, these ‘Hippocratic Aphorisms’, if only to avoid future embarrassment. So here are a few ‘Emergency Proverbs’, to make all of my readers wiser in the coming year.
1) Don’t drink and drive. That’s a given. But if you drink and ride in a car, always empty your bladder before leaving in a vehicle. If your friend wrecks the car, you may lie on the backboard for a very long time while we take x-rays. At that point, it’s often a choice of ‘catheter or hold it.’ This is not any fun at all.
2) Only a very few women should wear thong underwear. There may be guidelines, possibly somewhere on the Internet. If you suspect you may not qualify, do not do it; for everyone’s sake, but mostly for your own dignity. This rule applies, incidentally, to all men, everywhere, ever.
3) When you come to the hospital after a fight or accident, please let us know who should be allowed to visit you, and specify whether the woman in attendance is your girlfriend or wife. If both show up, unpleasant incidents have been known to occur. Ditto for husbands/boyfriends.
4) We know you drank more than two beers, so don’t try that one. At some point, most of us have had two beers, but even then we didn’t do anything as ridiculous as the thing that brought you to the emergency room.
5) If you friend suggests any combination of the following words on Saturday night, heck, on any night, slip away and stand by with your cell-phone in order to call 911. (And find a video camera, because it’s going to get interesting): Beaver dam, dynamite, chainsaw, beer, four-wheeler, waterfall, pistol, beer, someone else’s girlfriend/wife, wood-carving, beer, train-tracks, whisky, convenience-store/panty-hose, methamphetamine, beer, pit-bull, bon-fire, mushrooms, motorcycle race, bar-fight, LSD, gasoline, yellow-jacket nest, beer, nail-gun, beer, rattlesnake, cop-car. Oh, and beer.
6) Remember that the drama of your life is much less interesting to everyone when you’re explaining it while handcuffed to a hospital bed. Remember, also, that what may have seemed very important at 3 AM will probably seem stupid when you go over the details with the judge who sets your bail. (Hint, he or she will think it was stupid too).
7) Dogs, as a general rule, do not like to be kissed on the mouth by drunk people.
8) Lewd or pornographic tattoos seem cute at the time. But ultimately, everyone makes fun of them when you’re a) intoxicated and unconscious or b) old and demented. Think before you ink.
9) Just because you found a mushroom, doesn’t mean you should eat it. People have died, trust me.
10) If you don’t remember when you put it in the refrigerator, don’t eat it. Really. Here’s a confirmation test: let the dog smell it. If the dog looks up and says, ‘you’ve got to be kidding’, then don’t eat the food in question.
11) Police officers lose their sense of humor when they have to wrestle with you. Extra tip: the pistol has bullets in it.
12) Few people look good in their driver’s license photo. No one looks good when their arrest photo shows up in the newspaper.
13) If your wife says ‘you need to go to the emergency room’, she’s probably right. That crushing chest pain may be something to worry about after all.
14) When you drive a new truck, smoke 2 packs per day and have a camera-phone, no one in medicine is going to bend over backwards to get you drug samples because you ‘can’t afford to get a prescription’.
15) Men, it’s a t-shirt or an undershirt. It is not a ‘wife-beater’. Should you call it that, we will all believe that you are as well.
16) No one should wear shorts that say ‘Bootylicious’, ‘delicious’ or ‘hot mama’ across the back-side, but this is especially true if the shorts are size XXXXL. No one should describe themselves as ‘Bootylicious’, even if they think they are.
17) If you let your child crawl on the floor of the emergency room, bath them as soon as possible. If you wear house slippers to the emergency room, consider burning them.
18) God gave you a life to live. Try talking to him frequently. Not just when you’re screaming in pain after the accident involving gasoline, a beaver dam and moonshine.
19) For heaven’s sake, not every bump on your skin is a spider bite. Spiders have better sense than to bite most people.
20) Before you do it, whatever it is, consider the consequences. You might get lucky. But probably not.
21) You don’t get to pick the way you die, unless you ignore my rules or flirt with the wrong woman. So try not to worry about it too much. As my partner says, ‘the death rate remains the same; one per customer’.
22) The surest way to die early seems to be to run every day, eat nothing but fruits and vegetables, take vitamins and have regular check-ups. The surest way to live a very long life seems to be to be a jobless, drug-using, drug-selling drain on society with an extensive criminal record and bad teeth. These people never die!
23) Poisonous snakes are fascinating and beautiful creatures, best viewed in zoos and on the nature channel. They do not like to be cuddled or kissed, especially by intoxicated rednecks.
24) My parents, all parents were right. Nothing good does happen after midnight. An entire subculture of persons emerges from dark houses and creepy hotel rooms to walk the night like zombies, all in search of pain medicine and a work excuse. Stay home after dark!
25) The single greatest cause of chest pain and seizures is being read Miranda rights and arrested. They all want to come to the ER to avoid jail for just a little longer.
26) If I know your genealogy, you’ve been in the emergency room too often.
27) The emergency department waiting room, like any given bar on Saturday night, is a very bad place for matchmaking. Sure, she might have a certain glow when she has a fever, and he might look especially manly in handcuffs. But after the romance wears off, you’re both stuck with crazy people.
28) We worry way too much about privacy. Everyone in the emergency room stops by the beds of strangers and discusses their problem anyway. ‘Do you have a broken arm? I have gonorrhea! It sure is along wait tonight!’ Furthermore, in the era of the camera phone, anything you do with your friends that results in an ER visit, will be posted on the Internet within 8 hours of your discharge.
29) Every doctor believes that medicine is an art. But what they are really saying is that the art is acting. We all surround ourselves with what we think are the right props and scripts. For some it’s a lab-coat, for others multiple pagers. For me it’s my reading glasses and for my partners it’s the reflex hammer. And for some it’s a catch phrase: ‘These things require a delicate balance’, or ‘I don’t know what’s going on, but let’s call a specialist and get to the bottom of it’. Medicine, dear friends, is performance art of the highest order.
30) Passwords may be the death of everyone in medicine. I have three that I have to use constantly in the ER. What I wish I could tell the government is this: it’s medicine, not the Manhattan project or the hunt for Al Qaida! I don’t need a password to protect the X-rays from prying eyes. The average person doesn’t know his femur from his tonsils anyway.
31) There are stupid questions. They said in medical school that the only stupid question was the one you don’t ask. Wrong! That’s a dirty trick to make you ask stupid questions. Case in point. ‘I was in the ER on August 20 and they told me I was six weeks pregnant. How far along am I now?’ Bless her heart, that was a stupid question.
32) Crazy people are everywhere. They look like you and me. They may not have official diagnoses. But when they say things like ‘all the teeth in my mouth moved around and then locked back into place’, you know that crazy is well entrenched in the seemingly normal folks of society.
33) As hard as everyone works, the hardest wisdom is this: when we all die, the emergency room will just keep going on. Our place in the schedule will be filled, our job replaced and the work will continue. So, and this goes for everyone in every job, we might as well stop, rest and have fun. We’re all very important. And none of us are all that important.
34) The highest praise I ever received was when someone told me ‘you don’t act like a doctor’. From my years of observing doctors from the emergency room, I can tell you that’s a high compliment.
35) I like to make fun. I always wanted to be a comedian or a writer. So I can tell you with confidence that seeing people in a medical setting is some of the best training a writer can have. They will tell you all of their secrets, all of their pain and all of their comedy for the price of a little kindness. I can’t imagine any better training in the human condition. Medicine teaches me that people can be unimaginably noble. That they can be miserable and cruel. That they can love like angels and kill like devils. That they endure everything from paralysis to cancer with a smile; and at the same time can give up and take disability for the slightest injury just to withdraw from the world. Medicine teaches me the way people speak and the way they laugh, the way the sound when they’re frightened for their child, and the way they stumble when they’re drunk. And it teaches me that all of them, from the ones I admire to the ones I have to laugh at, are just children in search of a father.
Well said. A corollary to #24 I would add is that it is highly unlikely that you were just “standing there, minding my own business”, (at three o’clock in the morning associating with people known for dealing meth/crack/heroin), when these “two dudes” came by and “shot me”, “stabbed me”, or “beat the crap out-of-me” for “no good reason”.
This post contains much wisdom… meditate on it with us.
Awesome….. Consider yourself blogrolled.
Great set of pearls! Hope you have more to share with us in the future. consider yourself blogrolled
Apparently beaver dams hold much greater promise for entertainment than I’d previously believed. Where did I put that bottle of whiskey…
Some truth in all of them.
And, most I found funny because I’ve been there (on the doctor side of things, of course)… but several are ultra-hilarious simply because your delivery is classic.
are you sure you don’t work at springhill medical center ER??
Appreciate your excerpt, write some more.
I drop a leave a response whenever I like a article on a blog or I have something to add to the discussion. It is caused by the fire communicated in the article I read. And after this article edwinleap.com | Wisdom from the wide, weird world of the emergency room…. I was actually moved enough to post a thought 🙂 I do have 2 questions for you if you do not mind. Is it simply me or do a few of these comments appear like they are written by brain dead individuals? 😛 And, if you are posting on… Read more »
Fantastic publish. I merely discovered your weblog and wished to claim that We’ve genuinely loved looking at your internet site posts. In any manner I will likely be subscribing to your present feed i i do hope you write-up once again soon. Substantial was searching for valuable info.
Nearly all of what you assert is astonishingly legitimate and that makes me ponder why I had not looked at this in this light previously. Your piece really did turn the light on for me as far as this subject goes. Tempe Dentist, Tempe Dental Studio, 4427 South Rural Road Tempe, AZ 85282
I dugg some of you post as I cerebrated they were very beneficial very useful.
Welcome Steinbach! We are so enthusiastic to welcome you to your Fruit Share family members we all know you happen to be likely to love it!
That a single still left me breathless definitely! I discovered I was holding my breath from detail to detail it had been so interesting. Such enjoyment 1st thing within the early morning surely does set up the day!!
Everything published was very reasonable. But, think about this, suppose you wrote a catchier post title? I ain’t saying your information is not good., but what if you added a post title that grabbed people’s attention? I mean %BLOG_TITLE% is a little vanilla. You might glance at Yahoo’s front page and watch how they create article headlines to get viewers interested. You might add a related video or a related picture or two to get people excited about everything’ve got to say. In my opinion, it would make your posts a little bit more interesting.
Hi there. I sought after to drop you a rapid note to be able to communicate my personal thankfulness. I have been following your blog for a month or so as well as have selected out up a group of exceedingly good quality particulars and in addition cherished the way you have structured your own up web page. I am trying to administrate my special web blog, conversely I think its too wide-ranging plus additionally I care for to concentrate supplementary at minor concerns. Being the whole stuff to the whole community is not the whole that its cracked up… Read more »
I think the admin of this site is truly working hard for his site, since here every stuff is quality based material.|
I just wanted to make a comment to be able to express gratitude to you for all the awesome hints you are writing at this website. My particularly long internet research has finally been paid with wonderful tips to exchange with my pals. I would declare that we visitors are undoubtedly blessed to be in a remarkable community with very many lovely professionals with very helpful suggestions. I feel extremely grateful to have encountered the web page and look forward to some more awesome moments reading here. Thanks a lot once more for everything.
Glad to be one of many visitants on this awe inspiring website :D.
For me, this is just a sensational side. Thank you for the wealth of information. I will certainly regular visitor.
I’m not sure where you’re getting your information, but good topic. I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more. Thanks for excellent info I was looking for this information for my mission.
You actually make it seem really easy with your presentation however I to find this matter to be really one thing which I think I would never understand. It kind of feels too complex and extremely huge for me. I am taking a look forward in your next put up, I’ll attempt to get the grasp of it!
It is far better buy solely those prom dresses designed to use averagely garnished parts, due to excessive ornamentation will offer a great deal distress.
Pretty excellent post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I’ve really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.
This is a smart blog. I indicate it. You might have a lot understanding about this concern, and a lot passion. You also understand how to generate men and women rally behind it, certainly through the responses. Youve obtained a layout right here thats not as well flashy, but can make a statement as large as what youre saying. Wonderful job, indeed.
Basically, admirable what you have performed right here. It is satisfying to look you express from your heart as well as your clarity on this significant material may be easily looked. Remarkable post and can seem ahead for your potential update.
certainly like your web-site but you need to test the spelling on several of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling issues and I in finding it very troublesome to inform the reality however I’ll certainly come back again.
I constantly emailed this website post page to all my friends, since if like to read it after that my contacts will too.
Hello friend, what a quality is! For this YouTube video, I am truly impressed, since I have never seen fastidious quality YouTube video before,
I do accept as true with all the ideas you’ve offered to your post. They are very convincing and will definitely work. Nonetheless, the posts are very quick for beginners. May just you please lengthen them a bit from next time? Thank you for the post.
It’s the best time to make a few plans for the longer term and it’s time to be happy. I’ve learn this put up and if I could I wish to suggest you few interesting issues or tips. Perhaps you could write subsequent articles relating to this article. I desire to read even more things about it!
Oh my goodness! an excellent write-up dude. Quite a few thanks Nevertheless We’re experiencing trouble with ur rss . Usually do not know why Can not sign as much as it. Is there absolutely everyone acquiring identical rss difficulty? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx
Oh my goodness! a wonderful short article dude. Appreciate it Nonetheless We’re experiencing problem with ur rss . Do not know why Not capable of sign up for it. Can there be any person obtaining identical rss dilemma? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx
Hi Jackson, if you are a new internet user after that you have to go to see all the time this website and read the updated posts at here.
YouTube is world’s largest video sharing website, no one can defeat it. Every one add movies at YouTube afterward obtain embed code and post everywhere.
My spouse and i were thrilled that Jordan could do his investigations by feature of the precious recommendations he gained in your web place. It’s not by the side of all simplistic to just ensue philanthropic without stinting thoughts that the others could have been selling. Then we appreciate we need the writer to appreciate used for this. On the whole of the illustrations you have ended, the straightforward blog navigation, the friendships you compose it viable to promote it’s got regularly amazing, and it is making our son in adding to us reckon that the subject substance is cool,… Read more »
Hello Vic the consular officers are taking into account an individual’s economic and family ties to the United States as well as outside of the United States.
I do believe all of the concepts you have offered for your post. They’re really convincing and can certainly work. Nonetheless, the posts are too quick for newbies. May just you please prolong them a little from next time? Thank you for the post.
Nice post Bob! I’ve been using Spotify since it was released and am thankful that I don’t have any data caps!
I’d should speak with you here. Which isn’t something It is my job to do! I really like reading an article that will make people really feel. Also, thanks for permitting me to comment!
Oh my goodness! Amazing article dude! Many thanks, However I am going through issues with your RSS. I don’t know why I am unable to subscribe to it. Is there anybody having identical RSS issues? Anyone that knows the solution will you kindly respond? Thanx!!
I every time download a complete show in parts, that’s always present at YouTube, since my net connection is awfully slow and YouTube fulfils my wishes.
I couldn’t agree more. You have come up with quite original ideas.
The post was useful to come across thanks
A number of viewers are eager to watch funny video clips, but I like to watch terrible videos on YouTube.
Hello very nice web site!! Guy .. Beautiful .. Superb .. I’ll bookmark your website and take the feeds additionally…I am happy to search out a lot of useful info here in the submit, we want work out more strategies on this regard, thank you for sharing.